Saturday, October 14, 2006

Bob's observations


We have had several inquiries about Bob's assignment here. The system of legal education in Europe and Russia is different from the US. Students interested in becoming advakats, or practicing lawyers, take four years of undergraduate work in the faculty of economics and law. If they wish to practice or become judges (a civil service designation not necessarily requiring appointment from the body of former practitioners) they must continue in a specialized school. In the arrangement of my stay here, I became slotted with the undergraduates. The largest number of my students are in the economics department, with a scattering of law/economics students. Novosibirsk State University started a dedicated law school about two years ago, but the department I am assigned to does not seem to be able to talk with them. Among my recommendations for the continuation of the program here will be that my successors teach both in the law school and the undergraduate department. My preparation was for graduate level work and I have had to make some changes, not many, for an undergraduate presentation.

All of that being said, my students are an interested and interesting group. We have discussed the origins of Anglo-American common law (read English constitutional history here), the development of the jury system (O.J. Simpson plays a big part in this), introductions to torts, contracts law and international law, all with the final goal of the importance of the rule of law.


The students and few faculty members I have met have been most welcoming. The students particularly have gone out of their way to make Peggy and me feel welcome. Although I am not too sure what they will take away from my classes, Peg and I will take away a very good feeling of the welcoming and generous nature of our students and new friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home