Sunday, October 01, 2006

An interesting bird

The second day we were in Akademgorodok, we saw this bird on one of our walks. Via email, Bonnie identified it for us: “The bird is a magpie. I looked it up in a Japanese guide I have just to make sure. We actually have them here in MN, up in the bog area north of Duluth and west to Alaska and out on the Aleutians. They are pretty spectacular when you see them fly.”

We often see this bird. It's big and colorful and has a big voice, too. Turns out it is related to jays and crows so its noisy habits are not so unusual. We saw a magpie at the botanical garden last Friday. Sasha explained that in Russia, this bird’s name is soroka. She said that Russians say, "Soroka beloboka" because its white sides show clearly when it flies. I will try to get a better picture before we leave.


We're catching up with previous posts: Added Sep 23, Sep 30 and updated the Sep 29 post. You can find them in the "Previous Posts" list on the right by clicking on "Laundry and a walk" for the 23rd; "Seasonal Changes" for the 30th; "Central Siberian Botanical Garden" and "Meeting friends of friends" for the 29th posts.
Also, we added another entry for Sep 14 and one for Sep 15 and another for Sep 16. These last three will be filed in the Sep 2006 archives as "Novosibirsk State University" and "Getting Settled" and "Testing technologies." Sorry there's no link to them in the archives but they are filed in reverse chronological order. You can scroll down to find them.

9 Comments:

Blogger jbird said...

Cool blog! I can't wait to see how your adventure goes...my husband and I are homeless and move from place to place because of our company. I know how it is living in a temporary place.

Mon Oct 02, 01:02:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Bob and Peggy.
I hope you don´t mind me looking in on you from time to time.
I´m a Danish biologist but have lived in Tromsø, Northern Norway, for 6th years now. It´s interesting getting to know another culture, and I see that you two are even more adventurous than me. Russia, now that´s a place I should know more about...

The bird in your picture, the magpie, is called a "skade" in Danish and a "skjære" in Norwegian. They are all over in Scandinavia. Like their relatives the crows they have adapted well to humans. "Skade" actually means hurt or ruin, and I think it comes from it´s tendency to steal shiny things like good silver teaspoons and jewlery. In the old days they were not well liked. Now they can be a hygene problem as they peck through garbage bags and scatter it all over, but otherwise they are really fun birds. They can get quit tame too, like the ravens and crows.

Best wishes for your furter adventures, Nethe

Mon Oct 02, 12:31:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will not acquiesce in on it. I over precise post. Expressly the title attracted me to review the sound story.

Fri Jan 15, 08:19:00 PM 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Tue Jan 19, 06:06:00 PM 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view

Sat Feb 20, 01:47:00 AM 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is useful to try everything in practice anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)

Sun Feb 21, 02:05:00 PM 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

I keep coming to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Plenty of useful information on whitweb.blogspot.com. I am sure due to busy scedules we really do not get time to care about our health. In plain english I must warn you that, you are not serious about your health. Recent Scientific Research points that almost 70% of all USA adults are either chubby or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these people, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for quick weight loss.

Tue Mar 23, 05:17:00 AM 2010  
Anonymous free xxx beastiality stories said...

We almost did. MAN STARTS TO JERK WILDLY, THEN FREEZES.
free xxx sex stories
male bestiality stories
young gay first time sex stories
breast bondage stories
cuckold interracial stories
We almost did. MAN STARTS TO JERK WILDLY, THEN FREEZES.

Sat Dec 04, 04:05:00 AM 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello this is kinda of off tοpic but I ωas wondering if blοgs use WYЅIWYG edіtors or if you have to manuallу code ωith НTML.
Ӏ'm starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is my weblog - frontier internet

Fri May 24, 05:23:00 AM 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home